Wednesday, May 13, 2009

section #2

Well, what does any of this have to do with photography? I use to talk to “self proclaimed” professional photographers every day and listen to all of their dilemmas. If I ask a question such as, “what f-stop or… what ISO/ASA did you use, or what shutter speed was used,” I would get a gawk of glassy eyes and a no-one-home gape. I have talked to “photographers” that had never used a single piece of film in their life, including photo students studying at expensive institutions.

 How can anyone become a proficient photographer if they have no knowledge of the basics? “I don’t need to know the basics because this new trillion dollar digital camera can do it all for me… right”? I don’t believe so! I know that this fancy camera can make a beautiful image. Will it make me a photographer of any significance? No! Look at the work of well recognized digital photographers. They all started their process with traditional imaging. That’s why they are important photographers. They learned the basics, they studied the philosophy of early master photographers, they studied all art forms and they talked about the creative process… the touchy-feely things. They can use a pin-hole camera or the supreme billion mega-pixels camera and make a great image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment